Published by Disney Hyperion on November 15, 2016
Genres: Mystery, Young Adult
Add to: Goodreads
Five went in. Four came out.
No one knows what happened that morning at River Point. Five boys went hunting. Four came back. The boys won’t say who fired the shot that killed their friend; the evidence shows it could have been any one of them.
Kate Marino’s senior year internship at the district attorney’s office isn’t exactly glamorous—more like an excuse to leave school early that looks good on college applications. Then the DA hands her boss, Mr. Stone, the biggest case her small town of Belle Terre has ever seen. The River Point Boys are all anyone can talk about. Despite their damning toxicology reports the morning of the accident, the DA wants the boys’ case swept under the rug. He owes his political office to their powerful families.
Kate won’t let that happen. Digging up secrets without revealing her own is a dangerous line to walk; Kate has her own reasons for seeking justice for Grant. As investigates with Stone, the aging prosecutor relying on Kate to see and hear what he cannot, she realizes that nothing about the case—or the boys—is what it seems. Grant wasn’t who she thought he was, and neither is Stone’s prime suspect. As Kate gets dangerously close to the truth, it becomes clear that the early morning accident might not have been an accident at all—and if Kate doesn’t uncover the true killer, more than one life could be on the line…including her own.
What I Thought…
• I could not put down This Is Our Story. It had me from the get go and wouldn’t let go of it’s hold on me.
• I love the way the story was told. There were chapter’s from Kate’s POV and also interludes from the killer’s POV, only we don’t know who it is.
• Nothing is as it seems. There are five boys in the group, one of them is killed and the other four agree to this pact to “protect” themselves. It’s absolutely crazy, but I could totally see this being a real story.
• Kate was pretty awesome. I loved her job in the courthouse and that she was fiercer than I thought she would be.
• There were quite a few plots twists. Some I saw coming, some I didn’t. It was really hard to know what was true and what was a lie.
• Belle Terre is a small town and I loved the mix of small town politics combined with rich people politics. It added another delicious element to the story.
• I was pleasantly surprised that there was a little romance in Belle Terre. I picked up This Is Our Story because of how intriguing the mystery was, and given that half the characters are suspects to a murder I just assumed no romance.
• Kate’s BFF Reagan was the kind of best friend everyone should have in high school. She calls it like it is, but is also supportive.
Overall you should read This Is Our Story. Now. Seriously. The mystery has so many twists and turns – you won’t regret it.