Series: Unraveling #1
Published by Balzer + Bray on April 24, 2012
Genres: Paranormal, Young Adult
Also in this series: Unbreakable
Add to: Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.
And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.
What I Thought…
- Unraveling wasn’t quite what I expected. But that’s not really a bad thing. Though it almost took a turn for the worse around page 200 or so. (There was a brief mention of something I won’t ever read about and I almost freaked out because I was enjoying Unraveling and I would have hated to stop reading. And I would have.)
- It definitely has an X-Files kind of vibe to it, though for me I wish it would have been more earlier X-Files than later X-Files because I didn’t dig the later ones as much, but whatever. It’s still good!
- I don’t want to say too much so I can avoid spoilers but I loved the concept. It was fascinating and I am so grateful that Norris did not get too sciency because I don’t like science. She gave just enough info to make it plausible (in my eyes, I don’t really care if it’s actually possible or not).
- I freaking loved Janelle. She had a great attitude for the most part (though I totally wanted to scream at her “are you crazy?” several times). I loved how much she cared for her brother and I really felt for her and all the responsibility she was shoved into (not just the saving the world part).
- I liked Ben well enough. He’s a very different kind of character. The whole premise behind him and Reid and Elijah was good but at times Ben was a little too standoffish for me. He was a perfect fit for Janelle.
- Janelle’s mom and her ex boyfriend drove me nuts! Nick treated her like crap (hence the ex part) and her mom has so many issues that it just made me crazy.
- Her FBI dad and his fellow agents were awesome. I totally have a thing for the FBI (or really cops and agents of any kind) and I really enjoyed that aspect. Especially since Janelle went snooping around in her dad’s FBI stuff.
- The ending really made me mad. I didn’t see it coming and I’m not happy about it. It makes me really sad and I just wish authors wouldn’t do things like that! :(
“Life is a fragile thing. Apparently the whole world is fragile too.”
“Apparently this month is full of surprises. No one is as dumb as I thought they were.”
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Moving… but don’t worry, I’ll still be around! - February 20, 2017
- Review * #famous by Jilly Gagnon - February 13, 2017
- Review * My (Not So) Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella - February 6, 2017