1. Is this your first Stephen King book?
No, I’ve read two others, but this is my first of his older books.
2. What do you think of the style Carrie is written in?
It’s ok. It’s not awful, but I don’t love it either. I do love King’s use of capitalization to stress things (i.e. Popular).
3. Do you think the bullying/attack on Carrie that occurs in the late 1970’s in the book could happen today?
Sadly bullying still occurs today, and with the internet it can be taken a lot farther, but I don’t see something exactly like this happening. For one with the education in school and the internet I think it’s much less likely that a 16 yr old wouldn’t know what was going on. For two, I just don’t see girls throwing things at her, though I could see them taking it to the internet.
4. What are your thoughts on Carrie’s mother?
She’s a nutcase for sure. The religiousness was definitely taken way too far. I’m willing to say that there is probably some mental illness here cause she is just not anywhere close to normal.
5. Young Carrie brings the rain of rocks down on her house at the tender age of three, but then there are no major events for years. Why do you think her powers remained fairly quiet until now? What role does her mother play in Carrie’s use of her power?
Carrie’s mom kind of fuels it because without all her crazy, Carrie probably would have been normal (or at least more normal). I think somewhere in the book it says there is no recorded events in Carrie’s childhood so there may have been something.
6. Do you believe that telekinesis exists?
If you know me at all you know that the answer is a big fat no!
7. What is your favorite moment so far?
I think the locker scene really sets the tone of the book. It makes you feel so sorry for Carrie, and makes you want to see all the others (including her crazy mama) get taken down. I also liked the scene with Sue and Tommy when she really lets it show how bad she feels about the situation and her part in it.
8. What do you think of Sue’s plan to have Tommy take Carrie to the prom?
Her heart is in the right place but it’s not really a great plan. You can’t force popularity and acceptance.
9. Any predictions (um, only if you haven’t read this before or seen the movie! ;)
Once upon a time I saw the movie, so…
10. Just how crazy is Mrs. White?!
Anyone who says/believes “dirtypillows” is Hella Crazy!
** I would just like to note that I don’t actually find Carrie all that terrifying. Yet. **
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Moving… but don’t worry, I’ll still be around! - February 20, 2017
- Review * #famous by Jilly Gagnon - February 13, 2017
- Review * My (Not So) Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella - February 6, 2017