Published by Swoon Reads on January 6, 2015
Genres: Contemporary Romance, Young Adult
Add to: Goodreads
Maddy Spier has been in love with the boy next door forever. As his figure skating partner she spends time in his arms every day. But she’s also seen his arms around other girls—lots of other girls.
Gabe can't imagine skating with anyone but Maddy, and together they have a real chance at winning some serious gold medals. So, he’s determined to keep thinking of her like a sister. After all, he’s never had a romantic relationship that lasted for more than two weeks.
But when their coach assigns a new romantic skating program, everything changes. Will this be the big break that Maddy’s been hoping for or the big breakup that Gabe has always feared?
What I Thought…
• The Cutting Edge is one of my all time favorite movies. I love figure skating and romance so it sounds like the perfect win, unfortunately The Boy Next Door and I were not a perfect match.
• I really did love the figure skating aspect of The Boy Next Door.
• Maddy was alright except for the over the top swooning of Gabe, her skating partner. I didn’t understand her attraction to Gabe at all. He was a total jerk to pretty much everyone. I didn’t like him at all.
• I did not ship this romance. At all. The romance at the end was way too much, even for me. View Spoiler »Gabe decided that it would be a good idea to have a fake wedding. They had sex for the first time that night. And there was a promise ring at the end too. It was all just way too much. « Hide Spoiler
• The storyline with Maddy’s parents and what was happening with her dad was infinitely more interesting than the main storyline of the book. This is a problem.
Overall The Boy Next Door just wasn’t for me.
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Moving… but don’t worry, I’ll still be around! - February 20, 2017
- Review * #famous by Jilly Gagnon - February 13, 2017
- Review * My (Not So) Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella - February 6, 2017