Published by Bloomsbury Childrens on May 6, 2014
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Add to: Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Holly wants to remember her Grandpa forever, but she’d rather forget what he left her in his will: his wedding chapel on the Las Vegas strip. Whatever happened to gold watches, savings bonds, or some normal inheritance?
And then there's Grandpa's letter. Not only is Holly running the business with her recently divorced parents, but she needs to make some serious money—fast. Grandpa also insists Holly reach out to Dax, the grandson of her family's mortal enemy and owner of the cheesy chapel next door. No matter how cute Dax is, Holly needs to stay focused: on her group of guy friends, her disjointed family, work, school and... Dax. No wait, not Dax.
Holly’s chapel represents everything she’s ever loved in her past. Dax might be everything she could ever love in the future. But as for right now, there's a wedding chapel to save.
What I Thought…
• I wanted to like The Chapel Wars so much, but I was a bit disappointed.
• My favorite thing about The Chapel Wars was the relationship between Holly and Camille, her best friends girlfriend. Holly doesn’t have any female friends but as Holly’s life changes her and Camille strike up a friendship.
• I also liked that Holly was left in charge of her family’s Wedding Chapel after her grandpa passed away. This might be realistic in the real world (she’s still in high school after all) but it made the book unique and fun.
• Learning about the other side of Las Vegas was cool too. The non-touristy side of Las Vegas sounds awesome and if I ever go back I want to see that side.
• I did not care for Dax at all. He was just meh. I also didn’t like the insta-love between them.
• I also found The Chapel Wars to be a bit slow and boring at times, I just wanted to get on with the cute and fun stuff and there wasn’t as much of that as I was hoping.
Overall The Chapel Wars was a bit of a disappointment for me, but I still plan on reading Going Vintage when I can.
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Moving… but don’t worry, I’ll still be around! - February 20, 2017
- Review * #famous by Jilly Gagnon - February 13, 2017
- Review * My (Not So) Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella - February 6, 2017