I received this book for free from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Published by Katherine Tegan Books on February 14, 2017
Genres: Contemporary Romance, Young Adult
Add to: Goodreads
In this modern-day love story, Girl likes Boy, Girl takes photo of Boy and posts it online, Boy becomes accidentally insta-famous. And what starts out as an innocent joke spirals into a whirlwind adventure that could change both their lives—and their hearts—forever. But are fame and love worth the price?
Told in alternating points of view, #famous captures the out-of-control thrill ride of falling for someone in front of everyone.
What I Thought…
• I read this in one sitting. It was so hard to put down!
• Rachel sneaks a picture of her crush and it ends of going viral. I feel like something similarish happened in real life, but maybe not? It goes viral in a positive way for Kyle, but not so much for Rachel.
• Obviously social media plays a large roll in the book and unfortunately people can be cruel online, especially to people they don’t know. It was really hard to read some the flits that Rachel got from these random people. It broke my heart that she had to read these things and then deal with it. For the most part I liked how it was handled in the book.
• Kyle was adorable but a little clueless, but since I think in general teenage boys can be clueless it didn’t seem out of the normal. For a good part of the book he didn’t see the other side of what happened for Rachel, which was frustrating at times. But he definitely made up for it in the end.
• The whole viral thing gets so big that Kyle goes on the Laura talk show and ends up getting Rachel involved. I hated how this played out for Rachel. View Spoiler »Her mom and her best friend engineer her part in and it’s a complete, and mostly unwelcome surprise for her. Her BFF also had ulterior motives, which I didn’t like at all. « Hide Spoiler
• Rachel and Kyle were super cute together as they tried to navigate what is going on in their life and deal with their attraction to each other.
• Kyle’s best friend Ollie was absolutely awesome. Rachel’s best friend was less awesome. She did something in the book that made me super angry for Rachel, but also a lot of the time Rachel seemed like a better friend to her than she was to Rachel.
• Mean Girl Alert! There were two specific mean girls in the book and one of them was super vicious the other lashed out over what was happening and how it affected her. Either way they were mean and terrible to Rachel. The one situation was better handled (she did NOT come out the winner) but I did like how both were handled.
• My one complaint is I felt like #famous just kind of stopped. I was a little taken aback that there wasn’t another page. With that said though I liked how everything worked out so no other complaints.
Overall #famous was a fast paced, enjoyable read with a super adorable couple in it.